Flashback: Chestnut Hill Elementary College



Chestnut Hill Elementary College, together with Siebert Elementary College, opened within the fall of 1959.

Chestnut Hill was inbuilt an L-shape, housing 9 school rooms, two kindergartens, a gymnasium, library, administrative workplaces, kitchen and restrooms.

An addition of eight school rooms on the finish of 1961, designed by Alden B. Dow, positioned the library, thought-about elementary of elementary faculties, on the middle. The library was round in form.

“The eight school rooms radiate from this circle in a jagged design. Hallways are eradicated and every classroom has its personal exit door to the skin, ”wrote librarian Helen Baumann. “The studying room is 2 steps decrease than the encompassing ledge that serves as a hall for the lecture rooms. Library cabinets line the partitions of this round ledge.

“9 low benches with tables encompass the studying room and supply seating for library lessons. The ceiling is a shiny white dome topped with a plastic bubble that controls the sunshine.”


Baumann mentioned a typical day had youngsters within the library earlier than faculty began. At 9 am, fifth and sixth graders come for his or her “elective” class, maybe kids’s literature, folktales, myths or poetry.

That morning, the primary graders additionally got here to hearken to the librarian inform a narrative, after which the fourth graders heard a speak about Laura Ingalls Wilder and her books.

By the top of the week, all the youngsters within the faculty can have gone to the library, Baumann wrote. The librarian goes to a different faculty within the afternoon.



Supply hyperlink

Previous Irish movies: what to observe on this Saint Patrick's Day
Next Might the uncommon illness neighborhood educate the pharmaceutical trade a lesson?